Snap Advertising Policies
- General Information
- Third-Party Services
- Prohibited Content
- Content that encourages dangerous or illegal activity
- Content that infringes upon intellectual property or other third-party rights
- Content that is deceptive
- Content that is discriminatory or hateful
- Content that is inappropriate
- Content that targets children
- Adverts for certain types of products or services
- Restricted Content
1. General Information
We want Snapchatters to have fun and to be safe, and those goals drive our Advertising Policies. Advertisers must be honest about the products or services their ads promote; they must avoid content that misleads or offends; and they must never compromise our users' privacy. These Advertising Policies apply to all ads served by Snap.
Advertisers must comply with Snap’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines, and all other Snap policies governing the use of our Services. We may update our terms, policies and guidelines from time to time, so please check in and review them regularly.
Our user base includes teenagers (as young as 13), people in their 90s and everyone in between. Advertisers are responsible for ensuring that their ads are suitable for Snapchatters aged 13+ in each geographic area where the ads will run. They're also responsible for ensuring that their ads comply with all applicable laws, industry codes, rules and regulations in each geographic area where the ads will run.
All ads must meet high quality and editorial standards. Please visit the Specs and Creative Guidelines section of our Business Help Centre for the technical and creative specifications for each of our ad products.
We may share information related to ads with third parties, including: (a) our media partners when your ads run in content related to that media partner; and (b) third parties whose products or services you’ve elected to use in connection with the ads.
Our users may share ads with other Snapchatters or save ads to their devices. They may use any of the tools and features we make available in Snapchat to apply captions, drawings, filters or other creative elements to the ad. Age-targeted ads can be shared within Snapchat with Snapchatters of any age. To find out if you can restrict ad sharing and ad saving for your ads within Snapchat, please contact your account representative or visit our Business Help Centre.
All ads are subject to our review and approval. We reserve the right to reject or remove any ad in our sole discretion for any reason, including if the ad does not comply with these Advertising Policies. We also reserve the right to request modifications to any ad, and to require factual substantiation for any claim made in an ad.
Snap may suspend or terminate your account(s) if you violate our Advertising Policies.
All required disclosures and mandatory warnings in ads must be clear and conspicuous.
Advertiser(s) must be accurately and clearly identified in the ad.
The advertiser is not defined.
The advertiser's name and logo are not clearly visible.
The advertiser is clearly identified.
4. Third-party services
As we say in our Terms of Service, if you use a service, feature or functionality that is operated by a third party and made available through our Services (including Services we jointly offer with the third party), each party’s terms will govern the respective party’s relationship with you. Snap Inc. and its affiliates are not responsible or liable for a third party’s terms or actions.
5. Prohibited Content
Content that encourages dangerous or illegal activity
- Ads that encourage or glamorise:
- Drug use.
- Excessive drinking.
- Excessive violence, including the harming of animals.
- Exploiting an individual who is drunk or otherwise intoxicated.
- Snapping and driving or other dangerous behaviour.
- Violating laws or regulations.
- Ads that direct users to phishing links, malware or similarly harmful codes or sites.
Firearms must not be pointed at the user or audience in a Lens or Filter.
Content that infringes upon intellectual property or other third-party rights
- Ads must not infringe the intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other legal rights of any person or entity.
- Advertisers must obtain all necessary rights and permissions for ads they submit to be served by Snap. Rights holders and their agents can report alleged intellectual property infringement to Snap. We take all complaints regarding intellectual property infringement seriously and will investigate them. Takedowns are processed at our sole discretion. We make no guarantees as to the outcome of our investigations or the legitimacy of the complaints we receive.
- If we receive a complaint regarding intellectual property related to an ad served by Snap, we will encourage the alleged rights holder and advertiser to communicate directly, and we will not act as a mediator of disputes.
- Ads must not feature the names, likenesses, voices (including lookalikes and soundalikes) or other identifying features of an individual (such as transforming the user into a celebrity or a politician) without the individual's consent.
- To report alleged copyright, trademark or right of publicity infringement on Snapchat, follow the instructions at this link.
Content that is deceptive
- Ads that are deceptive, false or misleading, including deceptive claims, offers or business practices.
- Ads that deceive users into providing personal information without their knowledge, under false pretences or that otherwise misuse personal information.
- Bait-and-switch techniques or other deceiving calls to action.
Content that is discriminatory or hateful
- Ads that demean, degrade, discriminate or show hate toward a particular race, ethnicity, culture, country, belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, disability or condition, or toward any member of a protected class.
- Ads that promote bullying, including cyberbullying.
Content that is inappropriate
- Ads that depict nudity (but content about breastfeeding may be permitted), sexual content or obscene gestures.
- Ads that are shocking, sensational or disrespectful.
- Ads that may be considered culturally inappropriate in the selected location.
- Ads that encourage dishonest behaviour.
- Profanity (with the exception of censored profanity).
Content that targets children
- Ads that address or are intended to appeal specifically to children under the age of 13.
Adverts for certain types of products or services
- Adult products and services, including strip clubs, escort services and shops that specialise in adult products.
- Cigarettes (including e-cigarettes), cigars, smokeless tobacco and other tobacco products.
- Products or services that infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others, including those designed to bypass copyright protection (such as software or cable signal descramblers).
- Products or services principally dedicated to selling counterfeit goods or engaging in copyright piracy.
- Illegal or recreational drugs or drug paraphernalia.
- Counterfeit, fake or bootleg products or replicas or imitations of designer products.
- Firearms, weapons or ammunition.
- Illegal wildlife trade, and products and services derived from endangered or threatened species.
- App installs from sources other than the official app store for the user’s device.
- Ads that solicit the user’s participation in lawsuits, or ads that ask users to report on their medical history for purposes of potential compensation.
- Ads targeted at countries subject to US trade sanctions and other US export control laws.
- Any illegal conduct, product or enterprise.
6. Restricted Content
Snap does not permit targeting ads that promote or reference alcohol to the following countries:
- Bahrain, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Norway, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
Where ads that promote or reference alcohol are permitted, they must not:
- Target or be likely to appeal particularly to minors.
- Encourage or depict excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Exploit an individual who is drunk or otherwise intoxicated.
- Glamorise alcohol, or otherwise misrepresent the effects of consuming alcohol.
- Associate alcohol with operating a vehicle or other activities that require a certain degree of skill or physical coordination, or with any illegal behaviour.
Warning labels, such as “please drink responsibly” or its local variation (if applicable) must be prominently displayed in the ad copy.
Ads for alcohol products must be age targeted to at least 18+, or the applicable minimum drinking age in the country to which you are advertising:
- Canada: 19+.
- Japan, Thailand: 20+.
- United States: 21+.
- Sweden: 25+.
- India: either 18+, 21+ or 25+, depending on the States or Union Territories being targeted.
The ad depicts excessive consumption of alcohol.
The ad is properly targeted and does not depict excessive consumption of alcohol.
Financial Products & Services
Ads for financial products and services must clearly and prominently disclose all applicable material terms and conditions to consumers prior to the submission of an application.
- Ads for loans must disclose, among other things, APR, repayment period, fees and costs, penalties and the contact information of the lending institution.
Ads for products intended for a limited audience should only be targeted at that audience. For example, if a credit card offer is limited to individuals over the age of 18, the offer’s ad campaign must be age targeted at 18+.
Ads for the following are not permitted:
- Get-rich-quick or pyramid schemes or offers or any other deceptive or fraudulent offers.
- Ads that promote particular securities or that provide or allege to provide insider tips.
- Payday loans or predatory lending.
- Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs).
- Any other Financial Products and Services of questionable legality or other sensitivities, at our sole discretion.
Ads for food products must accurately describe the qualities and characteristics of a food product, including any associated health and nutritional claims.
Gambling & Lotteries
Our ad policies regarding the promotion of gambling apply to the promotion of online casinos, brick and mortar casinos, lotteries and any product or service that asks Snapchatters to pay to play games for the chance to win prizes with real-world value.
Advertisers must comply with all applicable licensing or registration requirements. Advertisers must provide Snap with proof of a current licence or registration. All gambling and lottery advertisers must be pre-approved by Snap.
Snap does not permit targeting ads for gambling or lotteries at the following countries:
- Argentina, Bahrain, Colombia, Egypt, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Snap permits targeting ads for gambling and lotteries at the following countries:
- Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States.
Snap permits targeting ads for lotteries at the following countries:
- Brazil, Ecuador, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Poland, Thailand and Turkey.
Ads for gambling and lotteries must not:
- Target territories where the advertiser is not authorised to operate.
- Target or be likely to appeal particularly to minors.
- Glorify gambling or misrepresent the benefits of participation.
- Encourage individuals to play beyond their means.
Ads for gambling and lotteries must be age targeted at people of at least 18+, or the applicable minimum age in the country to which you are advertising.
|Online gambling licence||Target market(s)||Permissible?|
|UK and France||UK and/or France|
Online Dating Services
Snap does not permit targeting ads for online dating services at the following countries:
- Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Online dating ads must not be provocative, overtly sexual in nature or reference prostitution.
Ads for online dating services must be age targeted at people who are 18+.
Pharmaceutical & Healthcare
Ads for pharmaceutical and healthcare products and services must only promote those products or services that have been approved by the local regulatory authorities in each of the countries targeted. For example, a prescription drug approved for Canada must not be advertised in the United States, unless it has been approved for the United States as well.
Snap permits targeting ads for prescription medications at only the following countries:
- Bahrain, Canada, Costa Rica, Egypt, Hong Kong, Japan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and the United States.
Ads for online pharmacies must be registered with the relevant authorities in the country in which you are advertising. For example, in the United States and Canada online pharmacies must be verified by the National Association of Board of Pharmacies (NABP).
Over the Counter (OTC) Medicines
Snap does not permit targeting ads for OTC medicines at the following countries:
- Colombia, Lebanon, Romania and Turkey.
Health and Dietary Supplements
Ads for health and dietary supplements must not:
- Promote products that may present risks for consumers (such as those included in advisories by local regulatory agencies).
- Promote weight-loss supplements.
- Contain exaggerated or unrealistic claims.
- Include “before-and-after” pictures.
Age targeting is required in the following countries:
- Colombia, Greece, Kuwait and the United States: 18+.
“Before-and-after” pictures are not permitted in Top Snaps.
Exaggerated and unrealistic promises are not permitted.
Snap does not permit targeting ads for condoms at the following countries:
- Bahrain, Republic of Ireland, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Poland and Qatar.
Where ads for condoms are permitted, content may not be provocative or overtly sexual in nature.
Snap does not permit targeting ads for hormonal contraceptives at the following countries:
- Bahrain, Colombia, Denmark, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
Hormonal contraceptives classified as medicines are subject to the policies for either prescriptions or OTC, as applicable according to country-specific requirements.
Snap does not permit targeting ads for plastic surgery at the following countries:
- Greece, India, Indonesia, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Philippines, Poland and Turkey.
Ads for plastic surgery must be age targeted at people who are 18+.
Prenatal Gender Determination
- Ads for tests to determine prenatal gender are not permitted in India.
Political ads are subject to Snap’s Political Advertising Guidelines.
The organisation or individual that paid for the Filter is not identified.
The party that paid for the Filter is clearly identified.
Promotions on Snapchat are subject to Snap’s Promotion Rules.
References to Snap
The unauthorised use of Snapchat usernames and Snap-owned trademarks or products is not permitted except in the context of promoting a Snapchat account (e.g. “Follow @accountname on Snapchat” or “Add us on Snapchat”). Snap's trademarks, including the Snapchat app icon, must not be altered.
Ads must not falsely imply or suggest any partnership or endorsement by Snap.
All uses of Snap's trademarks must comply with Snap's Brand Guidelines.
User Data Collection & Usage
Ads may not collect information about racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, health or sex life without our prior permission.
Personal information must be collected and processed securely.
Ads must not state or imply knowledge of personal data, sensitive information, online activity or the precise whereabouts of a user.