Snapchat Safety Center
Snapchat is a fast, fun way to share moments with friends and family. Most of our community uses Snapchat every day, so it isn’t surprising that parents and teachers regularly ask us for advice. We share your concerns and wish to provide a safe, fun environment for creativity and expression.
Reporting is Easy!
In-App Reporting: You can easily report inappropriate content to us right in the app!
Just press and hold on the Snap, then tap the 🏳️ button. Let us know what’s going on — we’ll do our best to help!
Learn more about reporting abuse in‑app.
Safety is a Shared Responsibility
Since the beginning, Snapchat has been about empowering people to express themselves with their camera. We didn’t want to create a social network where you automatically friend everyone you know, or where you only see what’s most popular. Instead, we wanted to make it easier for people, publishers, and brands to tell their stories — their way!
Snapchat is for personal communication, not broadcasting. Snaps are made for quick and easy communication, which is why they can disappear! Friends will only see the things that you send them directly, or choose to post publicly to your Story.
Tips for Staying Safe
As Snapchat has grown over the years, your privacy and safety have always been top of mind. That said, there are some steps you can take to make sure you stay extra safe!
- Snapchat Etiquette: Be kind and respectful to other Snapchatters. Be thoughtful about what you Snap, and don't send people anything they wouldn't want to receive.
- Snaps Disappear, But...: Remember, even though Snaps are designed to disappear, a friend can still grab a screenshot or take a picture with another device.
- Privacy Settings: Check your privacy settings to choose who can send you Snaps, or view your Stories and location on Snap Map.
- Friends: Snapchat was made for keeping in touch with your close friends, so we'd suggest against friending anyone you don't know in real life.
- Community Guidelines: Read up and follow our Community Guidelines, and try to help your friends follow them too!
- Report Safety Concerns: If you come across something upsetting, or if anyone asks you to do something inappropriate or that makes you uncomfortable, please report the Snap to us — and talk to your parent or a trusted adult about it.
- If you ever need to report something, just press and hold on whatever Snap you're viewing, and then tap the 🏳️ button to reach out to us. You can also report a Snapchat safety concern on the web.
- Bullying: If someone is bullying or harassing you, report the Snap to us — and talk to your parent or a trusted adult about it. You can also always block that person and leave any group chat where bullying is taking place.
- Additional Help: Check out NetSmartz for more information on cyberbullying. Snapchat is also partnered with the Crisis Text Line to provide additional support and resources to Snapchatters in the US. Just text KIND to 741741 to chat with a live, trained crisis counselor at Crisis Text Line. This service is free and available 24/7!
- International resources are available through our Support site.
- Password Security: Keep your password safe and don't share it with any other people, applications, or websites under any circumstances. We also suggest using a different password for every service you use.
- Manage Your Stories Content: On Stories, you can watch friends' Stories, Publisher Stories, Shows, and Our Stories to learn about things going on around the world! You can also decide what Stories content you'd like to see.
- Friends: Friends' Stories are sorted based on who you keep in touch with the most, so you'll usually see mainly the people you care about. Learn more on how to manage your friends or add new friends.
- Subscriptions: Right below the Friends section, you'll see your favorite content from publishers, creators, and other channels that you've subscribed to. These are sorted by which Story was updated most recently.
- For You: Here you'll find a growing list of recommended Stories from publishers and creators you don't subscribe to yet — as well as Sponsored Stories, and Stories from our community around the world. If you really don't like a certain Story you come across, you can always hold down on it and tap 'Hide' to hide that Story and others like it.
- Hiding Stories: You can always hide any Story that you don't want to see. Just press and hold on a Story, and tap 'Hide'.
- Reporting Stories: If you come across something inappropriate on Stories, please reach out to us! Just press and hold on the inappropriate Snap, and tap the 🏳️ button to report it.
- Age Minimum: Snapchat was made for people 13 and older. If you have a child under 13 using Snapchat, please reach out to us with your child's username and verification of your relationship.
- Learn More: Check out these additional tips for Parents & Educators, including our most frequently asked questions!